Wednesday, August 3, 2011

67 - Arrest and Trial

John 18:1-40

And you should read the end of the trial, in John 19:1-16.

Unlike in the synoptic gospels, here in the Gospel of John Jesus does not ask that he be spared the destiny he is about to encounter (let this cup pass from me).  Rather he accepts what is to come.  When the soldiers, led by Judas, ask for "Jesus of Nazareth", Jesus replies "I am he".  This may be taken as an echo of the self-revelation of God to Moses, "I am who I am."

After a hearing before Annas, Jesus ends up in front of Pilate.

The religious leaders may have had their reasons for wanting to get rid of Jesus.  Pilate finds his own reason - this man appears to claim to be a king.  Although he says "My kingdom is not of this world....my kingdom is not from here."

Pilate asked him, "So you are a king?"

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king.  For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth.  Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."

Pilate then asked the crucial question in scripture:  "What is truth?"

Christ on trial
Why do you think Christ was crucified?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts about this reading in the comments. Because of spammers, comments required approval.