Saturday, July 9, 2011

42 - Have Mercy on Me

Psalm 51:1-51:19

In the Jewish Study Bible, Psalm 51 begins with these words:

For the leader.  A psalm of David when Nathan the prophet came to him after he had come to Bathsheba.


By Jewish tradition, this psalm reflects David's confession and repentance when confronted by Nathan -- see the posting here about that story in 2 Samuel.

But biblical scholars think it more likely that the psalm was composed in the period of or after the exile to Babylon.

In any case, the psalm reflect a deep understanding of the human sense of guilt, and asks God's help, by asking for:  mercy (v. 1); blotting out of transgressions (2); washing and purification (2); purging (7).

Every reading reveals new insights into scripture.  This time I noticed that on the one hand the psalm prays that I may have greater insight into my sins, that I be taught "wisdom in my secret heart."  On the other hand I pray that God not look at my sins - that He "hide his face" from my iniquities.



This psalm is an essential part of our Ash Wednesday liturgy.  What do you see that you hadn't noticed before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts about this reading in the comments. Because of spammers, comments required approval.